Our funeral home was established toward the end of the civil war, in 1864, by Frederick Lassahn. Who was a blacksmith, wheel wright and cabinet maker by trade. His blacksmith shop was located on the southeast corner of Belair Road and Fullerton Avenue, in the Overlea area. It was through his trade that he became involved in the funeral business. He would supply caskets, which he had made, and rent horse drawn hacks to the local funeral directors in the area. His son, Henry C. Lassahn, followed his father's footsteps into the business. As did Henry's son, Edgar F. Lassahn, Sr., who became the third generation of his family to work in the funeral business. Edgar later married his wife, M. Eleonora Albrecht. Edgar and Eleonora's three children, Janet E. Hess, Edgar F. Lassahn, Jr. and Ronald C. Lassahn also followed their ancestors footsteps and entered into the business during the mid 1900's. After Edgar and Eleonora's three children married their spouses, Richard A. Hess, Carol Cherko Lassahn and Carolyn Monti Lassahn, they joined as members of our family business. Of special note, Carol Cherko Lassahn and Carolyn Monti Lassahn, both came from families who owned and operated funeral homes in the Yonkers, NY and Philadelphia, PA areas respectively.
In 1969, Edgar, Sr. purchased the Kingsville Inn. After two years of renovations, he opened Lassahn Funeral Homes second location, E.F. Lassahn Funeral Home, P.A. Later, in 1990 and 1994, Edgar and Carol Lassahn, Jr.'s two children, Edgar F. Lassahn, III and L. Heather A. Lassahn both entered into the business making them the fifth generation of the family to work in the business.
It has been and continues to be our family's sincere desire to help those families suffering a loss of a loved one through this most difficult time in their lives.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.